Monday, November 16, 2009

Daman Trip. Chapter: Liqour

Ah but so going on a trip and not drinking is like…umm?…can’t think of a good enough comparison to cite because there’s nothing as criminal as going on a picnic and not drinking. The problem was we weren’t carrying any with us because of the potential “bag-checking” risk at the checkpoints (Mumbai and Daman are not excatly at kissing distance). Oh well, let me get into a “subroutine” here.

I previously worked at a place where there was this *extremely* well-endowed female called दमन. My friends had nicknamed her बदन. Could not help but remember that. Out of the subroutine now.

So our problem was where do we get liquor? There, of course, was a bar at the resort, but we barred the bar because it was serving liquor at 4 times the price of what we should get liquor in Daman for. Bill देखके उतर गयी तो क्या फ़ायदा? Because the company was not sponsoring the liquor. So we were left to ourselves. But there’s an old proverb that goes “Try and try till you find liquor.” And we were going to stick by it. I spent almost the entire evening trying to find about where and how liquor could be found. “Da man” is a stalwart when it comes to liquor consumption, so I met him in his room for his expert opinion. It seems he’d already gone outside the resort to have a beer, but that place was 4 km apart. We did not know the rickshaw scenario there, and it was already late evening. So visiting that place was out of question. We asked some others, but none was keen on arranging liquor from outside of the resort. Finally Da Sun and I decided to "call it a night" in terms of taking “external help,” and decided to venture out on our own.

If you don’t smoke, you may not know that टपरीवालाs are omniscient. They are like what shane Warne would say about Richie Benaud: “he knows everything about everything.” So the best person to ask was the nearest टपरीवाला. So we went outside the resort, and asked the टपरीवाला there. He made a digitally mastered sad face, saying that “there’s nothing around for miles.” Subsequently he had a twinkle in his eyes, and said, “But I do keep liquor. You can buy it from me. I have a पचास वाला and a साठ वाला. Which one would you like?” The “पचास वाला and साठ वाला” part pissed me off, and made me doubt the genuineness of his liquor. So we left that place in the hope that we’ll find a wine shop by ourselves. I obscurely remember Rahul Roy in the movie Ashiqi roaming on the streets, looking for Anu Agrawal absolutely randomly, without having a clue about her whereabouts. Fortunately, because of his “sang”-froid, he sang the magic song “Jan-e-jigar jan-e-man” and found Anu in under 5 minutes. I remember having been so thankful to God that he found her. Anyway, so I was humming the same song when we happened to see a hoarding that pointed toward the road that lead to to a bar. We followed the road, and indeed found a bar there. The liquor was damn cheap, and after lots of calculations (which are always proven wrong later), we decided how much we’d need. The bar owner was unwilling to give me स्मर्नोफ़्फ़ because he had only स्मिर्नोफ़्फ़. I said that’ll do as well.

The next question was how we should smuggle the liquor inside Mirasol resort. We deliberately got the liquor distributed in quarters. Because of the quarters in our pockets, we suddenly looked the way a Coke bottle would look if you reversed the curvature, meaning if the concave curve toward its waist was made convex. Thank God we did not overdo our “casual entry through the reception” by making it obvious that we were carrying inside something that we are not allowed to.

So then we were all set for our grand programme. We picked up a room with a beautiful balcony (the risk was that all balconies were connected, so unwanted 72 people could also hop in from adjoining balconies.) But we decisively decided to stick to our decision. Imagine a small balcony and like 15-20 people sitting and drinking (some at the boundary between the room and the balcony).

Someone asked me to sing (I’m still looking for him). And the group joined in. With so many “requests” going around, I could not resist. मेरे सुर लगे, लेकिन सुनने वालों को. यक़ीनन उनके कानों में दर्द हुआ होगा.

With my special alcoholic multiple vision, the 20 people seemed like an audience of 200. People did clap after each song, but I’m not sure that was because I sang well, or because they were relieved that the song was finally over.

After winding up, we decided to go for a walk in the moonlight. We got down to the ground floor, and the chat was predictably random. We discussed about how lucky we were to be able to see the Alps (or *The Alp*) in Daman. The techies had some technical discussions as well. I slept in the meanwhile on the floor at the reception. (resting my back on the wall, BTW. Not in a supine position.)

Then it started raining. So that left us in Mirasol without a parasol. Despite that sounding poetic, it can be a nuisance getting wet. So we decided to return to our rooms.

Our watches read 4:30 a.m.

10 comments:

Da-Nand said...

Amaaazing trip, wudnt have had it any other way.
Looks like u wrote this while still hung over :)

Mohit said...

Thanks, "Da-Nand," lol, yeah the trip could not have been any better (except for Rishabh's fever and Kapil's fracture, of course)...and thanks once again for filling up the comments field :)) keeps me going :)

rakith said...

Bhai, looks like your trip was pretty trippy. For the reading joy that you provide, I am going to rename your entry in my phone address book as Manmohit.

Forever,
Cheers!

P.S: I presume you have taken actions to ensure दमन urf बदन will not read this. You may lose your endowment if that happens.

Mohit said...

Lol, Rakith! I've heard "ManMohit" before...lol...and thanks for posting the comment :)

Rishabh said...

The trip was really awesome, and I would say I enjoyed the real part of it (Mohit's singing).
I always knew Mohit is a special friend, khata woh hai tan mere lagta hai, but that night in picnic Pi ke woh gaa raha tha aur chad mujhe rahi thi (daaru, for those who have not figured out).
He is as good a lyricist as he is a singer, hats off dude!!

Mohit said...

Rishabh!! Thanks for the super words, man! Aur main service return bhi teri chabi k wajah se hi karta hoon, remember? LOL...thanks for all the lovely compliments [none of which I deserve, but I'll take them anyway :))] Cheers!!

andy said...

amazing post.. ab samja daru andar kase aayee ;-)

though i joined late but i was one of the audience for some songs from mohit.. and i can tell u that the clapping and the WAH WAH was not because of the endings of the songs but it was from the botom of the heart.. " Khat jo likha hai Aapko.." was the hit of the night..hats off to u mohit for such a Dard bhara song.. oops i mean Kavita.. i remeber that u mentioned in the hang over state about it... i must appriciate about your passion towards the ART.

Mohit said...

Thanks so much, Sandip :)) It's the motivation and appreciation from friends like you that keeps me going. And really a pleasant surprise to see you remeber the name of the song so correctly :))

Parikshit said...

बदन.....woooooooow!

टपरीवाला = Richie Benaud......could not stop laughing. LMAO

and you singing “Jan-e-jigar jan-e-man” reminded me of our days whenever we went to or via "Kolbad" on my cycle (Kinetic.....if you know what I mean?)

Mohit said...

Pari, trust me, I still haunt those roads....just that now the song is "tuuuuuuuu....auron ki kyun ho gayi...." :))

And what was that chinese corner? Rainbow? With those Roberts? Robert nahin, Rabbit..haan wohi wohi..