Monday, June 7, 2010

Spot the differences

Now, if you didn’t know about my obsession with Shreya (Ghoshal), then let me tell you that the moment I heard her songs Chalo Tumko Lekar Chalein and Bairi Piya, I was floored. And quite surprisingly, this happened only very recently. You’ll find my elaborate commentaries on these songs on my Shreya blog. Here are the links. (Note, though, that these links have nothing to do with this post, and you can go through them any time you want.) Chalo Tumko Lekar Chalein and Bairi Piya. Of course, you are welcome to read the other posts on http://themagiccalledshreya.blogspot.com/.

To demonstrate my obsession with Shreya, I’m pasting here a list of the Facebook entries I posted on the day I heard these songs. The comments have been deleted. Notice in particlar the entry that I’ve highlighted using a green rectangle because the rest of this post is about that.

I'd begun seeing Shreya in everything and everyone. This reminded me of Chitra Singh ji’s ghazal हरसू दिखाई देते हैं वो जलवागर मुझे.

Now, what happened one day is that I was going through pictures of a Goa trip I had attended in January 2008. A friend had them up on Picasa. The trip down memory lane was going great; God was in His Heaven; all was right with the world. Until a particular picture caught my eye. You can see the picture at the bottom-right corner of the screenshot I took of Picasa's thumbnail view. (Notice my dear friend Rohan staring at it from the adjacent picture; he won't quit turning his head around to ogle even when he's supposed to be frozen in a picture. Tsk. Tsk.)

Now, as far as I remember, Shreya wasn’t on that trip. (how I wish she’d been.) Then how did her picture come there?? I was dumbfounded! And the dumbfoundedness was not unfounded. How on earth did she feature there? Was I hallucinating? Was there something medically wrong with me? I was frantic. I raced up and down the terrace of my building, but nothing occurred to me.

Finally, I called up all my friends who’d been on that trip to check whether Shreya indeed had been on that trip. That gave them something new to make fun of me.

Finally, not to be outdone, I opened the Picasa album in front of a friend and asked him to see Shreya’s picture for himself. To my rude surprise and utter disbelief, he told me that the picture wasn’t of Shreya; it was of Parikshit, one of my best friends, that we had clicked in a hotel overlooking Calangute or Bagha beach. Can you believe that?!

Now, I’m sure you must’ve played the Spot the Differences game that features in newspapers where one picture is juxtaposed with another, and you have to pick the differences. We’re going to do something similar now. I have placed two pictures side by side, the one on the left being how the picture “allegedly” appears to the common eye and the one on the right being how it looks to me (which you’ve already seen). Click the link below and see if you can spot any differences. I can spot none. Let me know if you spot any.

Spot the differences

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha.. :-) .. when was the pic of Shreya taken ... I wish she still looks like this.. sound + beauty...

~Amit Navare.

Dreamchase7 said...

so u meant tht girl in the picture is ur friend - Parikshit?

hmmmm...


is she single by any chance? ;)

Mohit said...

Amit, thanks for the comment! I don't think the photo is too old. sound + beauty + one crazy fan :)

Mohit said...

Dear Shri, though I can't make out the difference between the pictures, I'm told that the *boy* is Parikshit and the *girl* is Shreya. And she's not single. And I'm ahead of you in the queue of people waiting for her to become single, lol.

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing brp

-Subodh

vishal said...

good writing dude.... loved ur articles.... do call up 9920357334.. wud be fun to catch up?....- vishal furia(shah, as u know me)

Mohit said...

Thanks, Subodh!!! My writing isn't half as good as your sketching, though :) Would love to collaborate with you--my writing and ur sketches...that'd be awesome!

Mohit said...

Vishal!!!!! Thanks! You're my oldest friend to comment on this blog! So glad you wrote the comment. Was feeling guilty that I must've upset you big time by not having kept in touch...will surely call :)

Arshad said...

"Kahin aag dono taraf to nahi lagi".. I would still recommend... you get it confirmed..;)

Mohit said...

hehe, Arshad bhai :) The 4th entry on the Facebook archive refers to the same conversation we had that day :)